Getting a divorce from an abusive spouse – Are you sure you know everything?

Silently beneath the blankets or behind closed doors, domestic violence has harmed the lives of around 4 million people every year. Majority of the victims have been women and many have been men, and this has impactd circles of relatives, children, employers, and friends. As per Lehi divorce lawyer, there are special laws that have already been designed to offer effective and quick relief against domestic violence. The most vital thing that a victim of domestic violence can do is take immediate action. 

So, if you’re trying to get a divorce from an abusive spouse, here are a few things that you should bear in mind. 

  • Don’t be a spoiled sport

There are some who feel that they are incapable of handling the pangs of the legal system as they’re already tired being a victim of domestic abuse. But this should not be the case with you. You should muster the courage to move out of the house with your children. Don’t notify the abuser about your move as this will keep him chasing you wherever you go. Whatever is the situation, consider this as your wake-up call. 

  • Take instant action when the spouse is violent

If you find your spouse to be violent enough, you should immediately call the police. Once you and your children are safe, get in touch with the domestic violence relief agency in your locality. They are the ones who can advise you on the safe shelter that is appropriate for you. 

  • Leave the house or speak to a lawyer

Violence is an ongoing threat; if you don’t respond to it, it will keep coming no matter where you are. So, if you have a violent spouse, you should first think of leaving the place and next think of speaking with a domestic violence lawyer. There are too many legal issues you have to concentrate on while filing a divorce from an abusive spouse. All these matters can only be taken care of by a legal professional. 

  • File criminal charges

Are you attacked by your spouse? If yes, there are numerous crimes with which you can charge your abuser. To start with, you can charge your spouse with sexual offense, rape, domestic criminal trespass, assault, stalking, and delivering threats. You can also contact the police. 

So, if you want to stay away from an abusive spouse, leave the place, inform the police, take action, and get in touch with a lawyer. 

Comments are closed.