Why you need help when diagnosed with mesothelioma
When diagnosed with cancer, it can be very devastating to you, your friends, and your family. The emotional and financial impact it has on you is unimaginable. However, most of the time, a cancer-related incident is a result of exposure at your workplace. In cases such as mesothelioma, most victims were exposed at their work. The companies they worked for never disclosed to them the dangers of asbestos exposure and those that did, never protected their workers.
Mesothelioma is a rare but fatal type of cancer that is caused by exposure to asbestos fibres. When you are one of the victims or have a loved one diagnosed with mesothelioma, you need to find help from mesothelioma lawyers. They are specialized in mesothelioma lawsuits and will assist with all the legal processes. Other severe cancer forms include cervical cancer, brain tumour, testicular cancer, lung cancer, and leukaemia. However, mesothelioma stands out due to its short life span and its severity.
Malignant pleural mesothelioma
It affects the lungs. The asbestos fibres attach to the mesothelial layer of the lungs after being inhaled.
- Inflammations in the lungs
- Fluid build-up in the lungs
- Chest pains
- Shortness of breath
Once ingested, the asbestos fibres cause tumor cells’ formation in the mesothelial lining of the gut, which results in mesothelioma cancer.
- Inflammation of the mesothelium in the gut
- Excessive weight loss
- Constant pain in the abdomen
It is tough to diagnose pericardial mesothelioma due to the short lifespan victims have. When the asbestos fibres settle on the heart’s peridium layer, they cause the formation of malignant cells that eventually becomes a cancer of the heart.
- Murmur of the heat
- Formation of fluid in the pericardium
- Hert palpitation
- Persistent cough
The average settlement for a mesothelioma lawsuit is one million dollars to about one and a half a million dollars. The average trial verdict amount is about two and a half a million dollars, and the most significant compensation ever given for mesothelioma is two hundred and fifty million dollars. Some notable settlement and trial verdict amount paid out include;
- Two hundred and fifty million dollars was to be paid in 2005 to the wife of a steelworker who succumbed to Mesothelioma in Illinois. However, a post-verdict agreement was reached between the company and the plaintiff for a non-disclosed amount.
- In 2011, a district judge approved the payment of forty-three million dollars after the exposure from the vermiculites, and more than one thousand three hundred miners and their estate were compensated.
- In 2018, Johnson and Imerys Talc America were found liable for selling Stephen Lanzo III and his wife talcum powder contaminated with asbestos from 1979 to 2003, which led to Lanzo developing mesothelioma. They were awarded a total of one hundred and seventeen million dollars for the damages.
These are but a few examples.
You should find help whenever you or your loved one has been exposed or died of mesothelioma. With a mesothelioma lawyer, you will be able to;
- Cover cost of care and provision for your family as he will identify your compensation options
- Gather evidence and build a case against the company that put you at risk
- Guide you through the legal processes and work on the matter as you spend more time with family and friends